Wednesday, September 4, 2013

musical mats

This game is similar to musical chairs, only I do not take a mat away after the music stops. I think there is enough competition in the world, and in yoga class they shouldn't have to scurry around anxiously trying to find a mat. Plus, the whole point of a kids yoga class is to get the kids doing yoga, not having them "out" and sitting on the side.

So, I set up mats all over the room, each mat with a different yoga pose flashcard. I play loud, fun music and we dance/run/skip/hop around the room, until I pause the music. Then everyone must find a mat and do the pose on that mat. We continue until everyone has done every pose at least once.




They really do enjoy this game. It's a great way to get their wiggles and sillies out, and still get them doing yoga. Plus, they hold the poses for a bit, as I walk around, making small adjustments and praising each kid individually.



No comments:

Post a Comment